Thursday, October 25, 2007

my opinions about blogs

Hi,
I 'm here again writing on my first blog of my life...Thinking better about it, it's really wonderful to have a private corner where I can write whatever I want and how I feel.

What can I say about the first two weeks of blogging?
First, I must admit that I had some difficulties at the beginning of the course and that everything appeared to me to be too hard, taking a lot of my time to complete the activities. I remember the first day when Prof. Guth spoke us about blogs, blogs' etiquettes, etc. and asked us to give a brief presentation about ourselves adding a picture from flickr.."and here starts complications", was my first thought when, after a number of attempts, the picture didn't appear on my screen. Soon I realized it was not so difficult as it seemed and when I posted my presentation with a beautiful picture of a sunflower I was satisfied, at all. However, very unexpectedly I noticed that I liked to write feedbacks to my peers (especially to the members of my group) and received them. That's why I think that blogging is a very good way to learn how to interact with people using the second language. In my opinion, interaction in the language we study is an important part of our whole knowledge we have in that language: grammar and literature are not to be left out, obviously, but I think that learning a language only in 'theory', without practicing it in real contexts, may be very unuseful.

Till now, at the university, I was always supposed to study grammar and translation and in this way worked just with the formal side of the English language. But, I think that, while studying a language, one should also be aware of the more informal side of it, which emerges exactly from blogs.
So, I see the blog first as a
private corner where I write whatever I feel, second as virtual a place for communication. I would like to compare it to a square, for example, where I meet my friends and change with them my ideas on different topics.
However, a blog can be something more, it can be a place where one need to share his culture and his experiences with other people, so I would compare it to a small
encyclopedia written by our own.

These are my impressions after the first two weeks of blogging. Maybe, when I'll more expert in the field (hope so!!!) I'll change some ideas about it and surely get you updated.

3 comments:

Valeria said...

Hi Mony!
Like you, this is the first time I write a blog and at the beginning I found this task a little bit difficult. I don’t know well how to use the site Blogspot and I found me in trouble: I wasn’t able the post the photo, I don’t know how to made a good layout… But now I am trying to improve my ability in creating blogs! I think it is an useful tool to improve our ability in informal and every day written English. Moreover, I like reading the comments that my peers made on my work: it is useful that we correct each other the mistakes because I think that in this way we can remember not to commit them, I mean: if a mistake is corrected, even more than a time, at the end I will not commit it anymore!
Now I would like to say something on your post: I found it well written, and I like the photos you posted and the colours you used. I really like the idea of the blog like an encyclopaedia, surely more interactive than a real encyclopaedia and even more personal, since we discuss on our interests and our feelings. I take advantage to let you show three little mistakes you’ve done:
I think you forgot a comma: “… ,without practicing it in real contexts, may be very unuseful”, because it is a comment into two commas.
Then between “p” and “e” you must write the “a”: encyclopaedia
Finally, in the last sentence I would have out the future tense: “…when I will be more expert…”.
However… good post!
Bye, see you on Monday!
Vale

elenacarlet said...

Hi Mony!!!
I liked your definition of blog very much! I agree with you when you say that our blog is like a square where you meet your friends and exchange your ideas; it's also a private corner, where we can express ourselves putting photos of whatever we want...I enjoyed very much the first time I watched our presentations with the photos; I was very surprised to see the different way, which each one of us had used to describe him/herselves...it was amazing ! I didn't thought that each one of us could be so original!!!
bye bye!!

Elena!

Elisa said...

Hi Momica,
I really like your blog, it’s so colourful and cosy.
I think you’re right to consider a blog as a private corner, in which you can freely write about your feelings, ideas, interesting topics and interacting and discussing with other people.
Reading through our comments about blogs, it’s quite clear that all of us are looking forward to experiencing another aspect of English, informal and colloquial English. Over these last years studying English was a continuous battle to pass the final exams..
Bye
Ely