Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Comments on my peers' websites

Hi girls,

I went through your websites and chose some which are really interesting for me.
The audio archive of English accents posted by Cristina seems to be useful as you can find different pronunciation of the same language, English. Sometimesit happens that I find myseself in troubles when listening to an America mother tongue as his pronunciation is rather different from that learned by me during my period of studying. I think taht it is also important to get familiar with the English spoken by the Indian community in London. I'm saying this because when I were in London last year I had some difficulties in understanding the Indian people who worked in various public places. So, in my opinion, it is important to know the correct pronunciation of an English speaker but it is also fundamental to get familiar with the varieties of the second language we learn.

I found interesting Elena's choice on the English punctuation. Ii is not something new for me but I still have some difficulties with the punctuation in my second language. It's a good site because it explains in simple words the fundamental differences between the punctuation and it gives essential example for each point. Last year we worked a lot in order to improve our use of the English punctuation and to avoid creating misunderstandings in the text. As the Italian punctuation is quite different from the English it may be useful for me to have this site in my Bookmarking for the time I will meet some dubts on the matter.

I liked Valeria's Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Web because I often test myself on the comprehension of texts. The site offers a wide range of texts to listen at and a number of exercises related to them. In my opinion doing exercises like these is a good way to improve our vocabulary and to learn hOw are expressions used in a conversation. Many times I misunderstand what people say in their conversaion because I'm not used to follow a conversation carried out by two English native speakers; the flow of the conversation together with the rhythm appears to sound strange to me.

Elisa's website about phrasal verbs and preposition is really useful to learn something more on the mattter. I must admit that I still have lacks about these objects of study; I usully have doubts with prepositions and whether do I have to use one or another. However, I think that this is a part of grammar which causes difficulties and doubts in any language. I had the same problem with the German language when found myself in front of a choice between the great number of preposition which caracterizes that language. Phrasal verbs are another part of the English grammar which I still partly miss in my knowledge of the second language. In my opinion they are very important as they allow you to convey the correct meaning you need just in few words. The problem is to remember them and not to mix up their meaning, as they are often very similar.
In the end I should say that this site may be very useful to learn more about preposition and phrasal verbs (how are they used in a sentence) since it is full of excercises on the matter.
I appreciate to learn grammar through exercises than through theory as I think it is a more efficient way to remember particularities of the second language.




No comments: